Olayemi is an exceptional lawyer with 20 years’ cognate experience in diverse areas of law, including Banking and Finance, Capital Markets and Energy and Natural Resources Law. She has acted for numerous corporate organizations and multinationals in virtually all legal issues faced by corporates, including on cross-border transactions and the issues affecting businesses.
Prior to Founding Sefton Fross she was a Senior Partner and head of the Finance Practice at Templars, and before then, Group General Counsel of Sahara Energy Group and Senior Associate at Olaniwun Ajayi, respectively.
Yemi She plays a very active role in Nigerian business law reform and was been part of the National Assembly Technical Committee on Financial Law Reform in 2017, which reviewed and overhauled the Credit Bureau Bill to create the Credit Reporting Act, 2017, a law which was responsible for Nigeria’s 2 step leap on Access to Credit and 24 step leap on ease of doing business on the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Report, 2017.
She is an astute speaker and prolific writer, and has written on diverse issues of law.
- The Nigerian Debt Management Office (DMO) in respect of its N100,000,000,000 Issuance of a non-interest financing instrument (Sukuk) in the domestic debt market.
- Dangote Cement PLC on its N300 Billion Bond Issuance Programme
- Aiteo Eastern E&P Company Limited on its US$2.56 Billion acquisition of OML 29 from the Shell JV
- Crestar Integrated Natural Resources Limited on its proposed US$453 Million acquisition of OML 25 from the Shell JV.
- Crestar Integrated Natural Resources Limited on its proposed US$453 Million acquisition of OML 25 from the Shell JV
- Leadway Assurance Company Limited on its acquisition of Alliance Africaine d’Assurance (3AVie), a life insurance company in Cote D’Ivoire.
- Standard Alliance Insurance Plc and Standard Life Assurance Company Limited on their Scheme of Merger
- Chinese National Oil Corporation on its $15.1 billion acquisition of Nexen Inc.
- Several international investment banks on their derivatives, repos and GMRA transactions in Nigeria.
- First Bank of Nigeria plc, Guaranty Trust Bank plc and First city Monument Bank plc as lenders in connection with a US$400 million-dollar project financing of the construction of Eko Atlantic City and related infrastructure.
- LL.B University of Ibadan
- LL.M, Wolfson College, University of Cambridge
- M.Sc Finance – School of Oriental and African Studies (London, UK) (Ongoing)
Olayemi has been recognised as one of the leading banking and finance as well as energy and infrastructure lawyer in Nigeria by Legal 500, IFLR 100 and Chambers and Partners since 2006.
- Banking & Finance
- Capital Markets
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Foreign Direct Investments and Joint Ventures
- Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Fund Formation and Investments
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
Affiliations and Appointments
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Chairman, Mergers, Acquisition & Corporate Reorganisation Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association - Section of Business Law
- Facilitator, Finance Working Group, National Assembly Business Environment Roundtables (NASSBER)
- Member, National Assembly Technical Committee for Financial Law Reform
- Member, Advisory Board, International Energy Law Advisory Group (IELAG)
- Chairman of the Section of Business Law 2016 Committee for the Review of the Companies and Allied Matters Act Repeal Bill and the Foreign Exchange Monitoring and Miscellaneous Provisions
“The `extremely knowledgeable` Olayemi Anyanechi leads the ‘deep, broad’ team, and has ‘a knack for meeting tight deadlines while remaining pleasant and polite”
Legal 500, 2018
“it is ‘a struggle to identify areas in which Olayemi Anyanechi is not good.”
Legal 500, 2018
“Sefton Fross is recommended for its oil and gas expertise as well as its experience in the development, financing and construction of energy projects, which include gas processing plants, energy storage facilities, refineries and petrochemical plants. The firm advises energy companies, governments, national oil companies, contractors and financial institutions on all aspects of international oil and gas and LNG transactions. Team head and managing partner Olayemi Anyanechi is highly rated.”
Legal 500, 2018
“The firm handled my transaction with impressive dedication. I was particularly impressed with the attention that Olayemi Anyanechi gave to the transaction. She was a delight to work with”
ILFR 1000, 2017